Tuesday 20 November 2012

Numero sei

Am I boring you yet with all this crochet?  Here is another lace block.  The yarn is not as fire-engine red as it appears in the photo, so it's not quite as gaudy as you may think.

And knock me down with a feather, there were no mistakes in the pattern!  My block looks nothing like the one in the pattern picture so I can only assume that it was due to my use of a smaller hook.  Or it could be the FOUR new stitches they threw into the pattern for me to fumble my way through.

Firstly, there was the ol' double treble crochet.  That sounds complicated, but it's actually not too bad.  It is a marginally longer stitch than the treble crochet, to give slightly more length within the design.  I sound like I know what I'm talking about, don't I?  Fake it till you make it, people.

There was also a 'shell' and 'v-stitch' required.  Okay.  Simple enough.  I was feeling pretty good about mastering those using the supplied instructions, but then they threw another cluster in there for good measure, which had a different stitch sequence to the one on block 4, so this one had it all really.

This design reminds me of a church rose window and I'm getting that Christmas-y feeling just looking at it.


Degree of difficulty: Patience needed for this one
Time taken: 2.5 hours
Result: Not entirely convinced that I like lattice-work crochet.

3 comments:

  1. you are not boring me. this is a great way to learn pretty darn fast. have you been doing it at night and/or during the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stayed up till the witching hour a few times...it's nice to be able to crochet in front of the tv knowing the children are tucked up in bed and the evening is stretched out in front of me. I sneak in what I can during the day, but it feels a little naughty because I know I should be doing other things - I'm sure that guilty feeling will pass (hehehehehe).

      Delete
  2. You are doing so well with all this new stuff. I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you take the time to comment. Except for spam, not loving that. I no longer allow comments from anonymous users for that reason.