Saturday 1 December 2012

Washi tape decorations

'Tis the season for decorating.  Our first advent activity this weekend was making Christmas decorations using washi tape.  We have large floor to ceiling windows in our living area and they are the perfect surface for creating works of art when floor or table space is limited, as is often the case in our small home.

I was a bit slow to pick up on this washi crafting craze but I'm truly converted now - this tape is totally fantastic!  It sticks to most surfaces, is repositionable, can be cut into small strips and can be written on.

I couldn't wait to get started but I had to restrain myself because I wanted to see what creations my girls came up with without my influence.

Inspired by a photograph in a magazine featuring lovely local business Tea Pea, Renee made a couple of Christmas trees:



Sienna opted for something completely different (which was my hope) and decided to make Santa's house and a present (and if her behaviour continues along the same lines as it has lately, the contents of her real gifts are going to look exactly like the one she created):



Aimee lost interest almost immediately, and was happier just cutting up the washi tape into teeny tiny pieces and sticking them onto any surface that took her fancy.  I made use of them and some baker's twine to create some mini bunting:


It's feeling festive around here already.

Time taken: 1 hour but we plan to add to it
Cost: $30 (that might sound pricy for tape; that was the initial outlay for 5 rolls of assorted thicknesses and we have plenty left over)
Result: Fresh and fun.

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea I may have to copy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, don't forget to show me your photos, I'd love to see what you and your girls create with it.

      Delete

I love that you take the time to comment. Except for spam, not loving that. I no longer allow comments from anonymous users for that reason.