Wednesday 11 September 2013

The final curtain

12 months ago, I entered the world of blogging. Before that, I never really understood the purpose of blogs; it sounded odd to me that strangers would want to read about another complete stranger's life or their creative pursuits and interests.  Two of my friends have blogs that I enjoy reading because I have a personal connection to them, but I still wasn't convinced blogging was for me. What could I possibly find to blog about that hadn't already been done a thousand times before?

Since I had often wondered what certain crafts would be like to do, it stood to reason that other novices would have an interest in my own endeavours. Following other craft blogs has helped me to nurture this latent seed of creativity within me. The more that I attempt things, rather than run out of ideas, quite the opposite happens and it feels like there will never be enough time to realise them all.

Are you wondering what a year's worth of crafting looks like? I'll show you.


12 months, 13 cushions, six crochet blankets, five reinvigorated pieces of furniture, five baby change mats, four sunhats, two pieces of art, one quilt, one embroidery amongst other bits and pieces.


All that's missing from these images are a few cats.

There were more items than the ones pictured. I gave a few things away and I hope those owners do like them, it gave me great pleasure to find new homes for them.


Of course, it would remiss of me to show you all the successes without showing you the projects that did not quite make the cut:
Who can ever forget the Halloween eyeballs that started out with so much promise, the masterful crochet and, my personal favourite, the Bauble Wreath of Amateurness.

I gave myself a timeframe of 12 months to see if I could commit to blogging and if I didn't enjoy it at least I had an excuse to quietly exit at the end of the year.  Now that I am at this final point, I feel like I have so much more that I want to document. There are a few projects that I started and have not yet completed and others that I have finished and want to share with you.

It has been wonderful to connect with you here, and forge new friendships with like-minded bloggers, which has been the most unexpected aspect of this past year. If you would like to see what is happening beyond the year of crafting dangerously, you will find me tinkering around in my new space, Paper Moon.

Last one out, please turn off the lights x.

35 comments:

  1. Wow! Your projects look so amazing all grouped together! I would love to visit the new site - it looks like I need to request an invite..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know Heidi. I have changed the privacy setting so it should be accessible to you now. Please let me know if you have any further problems, I am teaching myself how to do the set up, so there might be other areas that still need ironing out...

      Delete
  2. Yay for you! That is quite the collection of goodies and very inspiring. You know I am in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you following along on the new blog. I will certainly be popping up when I can on your Show and Tell link, it's one of my favourite places to visit.

      Delete
  3. Incredible! Amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie, I was too impatient waiting for the right light to photograph everything together, and the colours look washed out when in fact the lounge was so full of colour to walk into and made me feel so happy.

      Delete
  4. Wow look at all that crochet, and I still don't know how to! Impressive when you see it all together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, now that the weather is warming up, I feel less of an urge to crochet and the sewing machine is urging me to take it for a spin. The need to create is irresistable.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is an amazing amount of work for just one year! And an amazing achievment. If I managed to do any one of those things I would be overjoyed, so you should be very proud of what you have made. Looking forward to seeing what else you get up to the in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind - I am proud of my blankets, they mark progress I made from the very basic granny square to more complex patterns in the Krista throws. I'd love to achieve a bit more with the sewing machine, but I certainly won't be retiring my crochet hook, I am totally addicted to it. Would love to hear from you again, Amy.

      Delete
  6. Look at all that crafty goodness!!! Looking forward to following you through Paper moon - great name by the way. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fellow 1 year anniversary blogger :).

      Delete
  7. I proudly own some of your creations - I get lots of compliments on the little crochet baskets you made! I'll be following you... you can't escape that easily...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear they are getting used, and I'll be glad to have your company on the next part of my blogging journey.

      Delete
  8. Wow that's such an impressive array of creativity - and here I am celebrating my first wonky crochet hat - LOL! Looking forward to seeing how your journey unfolds over at your new space xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had better blog about that hat, I'll be watching you know. I bet it is amazing, you self-deprecating creature, you.

      Delete
  9. Yay for making it through your first year and congratulations on so many wonderful successes.
    Great to hear that you will be sticking around in the blogosphere... Heading off to follow your new blog now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at all these lovely comments, I should close down my blog more often :). Thanks for signing up to my new home, looking forward to seeing you share more of your creations with us all too.

      Delete
  10. What a great year you have had. See you on Paper Moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following me these past few months, I am happy that you still want to see what I create beyond this year. I certainly have a long way to go to match your quilting skills.

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to follow along with you over at Paper Moon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, it is so lovely to have you follow me across, rest assured, the new space will feature some sewing, I could never give that up. Your blog is so fresh and beautiful, I love visiting you.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photos in this post! I am also coming up on the end of my 1st year as a blogger and have been thinking a lot lately about how it has affected me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, happy almost blogging anniversary! I hope blogging has given you as much joy and satisfaction as it has given me this past year. If you put all of your completed projects in one room, I bet you couldn't even see the floor - you have completed so much!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful record of a years crafting!
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne! I'm so happy to see you have joined me over at Paper Moon. Looking forward to seeing where the next part of my blogging journey takes me.

      Delete
  14. Wow! well done! that is an incredible amount of crafting in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That room full of craft looks gorgeous :)) I have really enjoyed popping in and seeing what your latest craft endeavours has been and will definitely be following you over to Paper Moon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have you join up to my new blog, it looks a bit spartan (not to be confused with Spartacus) at the moment, but it's nice to have a fresh space and it can grow with me.

      Delete
  16. there is so much i could say. that lounge. I'm so glad you did that. I'd have liked to have been in the room. it feels so warm.
    you know some mice are missing from that shot too. I will say that Wally (the pincushion mouse) I won hasn't been eaten by the cat or dog. He sits by my sewing machine waiting patiently to be stabbed (FACT). See ya later alligator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful day, not ideal to take decent photos though, but you won't hear me complaining about seeing the sun shine! I nearly forgot about the mice pincushions. Although, when I mentioned the cats, I was being tongue-in-cheek about women who crochet who seem to have a disproportionately large amount of feline friends in their houses - but, hey, I'm not here to judge :).

      Delete
  17. I loved following you and your Paper Moon blog is beautiful. I do not know if I am the last one out, so I will just put the lights on dim!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much, I loved having you along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Leanne, these pieces are awesome! They look especially cool as you have such a modern mid century home (from the photos...) Can't decide which is my fave, maybe the pink and green blanky?

    ReplyDelete

I love that you take the time to comment. Except for spam, not loving that. I no longer allow comments from anonymous users for that reason.